For skills-based curriculum, the paradigm must be changed. Old: Content, Process, Product New: Process, Content, Product
- Empower - students take more control over their learning
- Independent learners (choose to work alone or with others)
- Self-directed learners (choose study areas, depth and breadth of learning)
- Producers of new learning (instead of regurgitators of old)
- Establish theme(s) for each of the grades e.g. Learning About Myself, Conflict in the World
- Choose and research skills to understand them e.g. analyzing ? relationships, patterns (skills from ?Accent on Essential Life Skills?)
- Create lessons to teach the concepts of each of the skills
- Provide opportunities for students to practice and apply the skills. My Independent Study template will be useful as the main guide.
VERY IMPORTANT! Keep learning REAL, personally meaningful, valuable ? wealth, prestige. These are most important to nurture motivation, tenacity, and passion.
Main Areas for Skills-Based Curriculum Development are:
- Creativity Skills.
How to: enhance visualizing, stretch imagination, force new associations
- Communication Skills.
How to: speak/present professionally, write effectively, read/use body language.
- Higher-Level Thinking Skills.
How to: analyze, problem-solve, think logically, use inductive/ deductive thinking
- Self-Awareness Skills.
How to: increase levels of perception, de-stress, keep up the spirit despite disappointments
- Leadership Skills.
How to: be a leader, motivate teams, achieve win-win outcomes, get people to do what you want
How to: support statements, find answers to questions, expand learning re expertise or interest, determine truth
How to: develop inner calmness, create a positive world view, nurture positive: values, principles, ethics, morality
- Innovation Skills.
How to: motivate people to invent new products/services, create/nurture a breeding ground for innovation